Thorntree Barn – Coronovirus – Covid-19 – Bookings and Cancellations
We are all living in dire and desperate times, are we not.
In common with most small businesses, we are trying our best to deal with our guests and especially those who had booked Thorntree in the near future. April and May are the most immediate concerns, but June is looking as though it might be affected as well.
If everyone is doing what we are asked to do, then travel for holidays is not allowed. It is amazing to hear that the Scottish Islands and Highlands are inundated with Caravanners and those who have holiday homes and think that it is OK to use someone else’s’ home patch for isolation.
For those who have booked Thorntree in the near future, we will of course return the bulk of any money you have already paid us, if that is what you would like.
For those who have not paid yet, we will be in touch individually to discuss what you would like to do. We will however retain the £100 deposit you have paid at the time of making your booking; we hope that you will understand.
The options are numerous and we shall tailor something that suits you individually for you
You can postpone your booking to another date or cancel altogether. If you cancel and want to rebook Thorntree at a later date once we all know what is happening, then we will give you priority for your new dates if we can. Or you can have a voucher from us.
But our policy is to be fair to all
We do hope that you are all keeping well and that we will all be released soon from the worry and restraints imposed on us
Mark and Carol
23rd March 2020